The group that manages the Internet’s domain name system is expected Friday to provide more detail about why it has been unable to re-open a database for those seeking to apply to run a new top-level Internet address.
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers last week shut down its application system for those applying to run a new generic top-level domain. Since then, ICANN revealed that a technical “glitch” had resulted in exposing some applicants’ data to other applicants. ICANN first announced there was a technical problem with the application database on April 12 and in response said it would extend the application deadline until April 20.
“As reported earlier, we believe that we have fixed the glitch. We continue to test the solution and to conduct research to determine which file names and user names were potentially viewable, as well as which applicants had the ability to see them,” ICANN Chief Operating Officer Akram Atallah said Wednesday.
Atallah added that the group would be providing more detail Friday about the technical glitch.
ICANN opened up the application process in January to those seeking to launch a new domain name such as .bank or .anything to compete with the 22 currently available. Applicants must submit a $185,000 application fee and meet certain criteria such as demonstrating that they have the technical and financial means to run a new domain name.
Critics of the new domain name program said the problem with the application database provides fresh evidence that ICANN is not ready to take on the responsibility of monitoring the introduction of possibly hundreds of new domain names.
“If it’s going to have a glitch in the application process, how will it be able to manage…800 plus or maybe 1,000 new top-level domains,” Dan Jaffe of the Association of National Advertisers said. His group is leading a coalition of many U.S. firms that oppose the new domain name program because they say it will impose new costs and burdens on trademark owners.